Poison Prevention

Contact the Sheffield Village Fire Department

For ALL emergencies, dial 911

For Non-Emergency Business

Sheffield Village Fire Department
4340 Colorado Avenue
Sheffield Village, Ohio 44054
PHONE: (440) 949-6032
FAX: (440) 949-6490

E-mail us:

Know to call 1-800-222-1222 if someone takes poison. 

  • Know to call 1-800-222-1222 if someone takes poison.  This number will connect you to emergency help in your area. Keep the number by every phone
  • Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that you cannot see or smell. The gas collects when fuels are burned
  • Have a service person check heaters, stove and fireplaces every year to see that they work well
  • Have a carbon monoxide (CO) detector near the bedrooms. This will tell you if the gas level is too high. Push the “test” button on the detector so everyone will know  the sound it makes
  • Know the things in your home that are poisons
  • Look at the labels for the words “Caution”, “Warning”, or “Danger” on the box or bottle. Read the labels and follow directions when using these. org
  • Take all medicines and medical supplies out of purses, pockets and drawers. Put  them in a cabinet with a child safety lock
  • Have child-safety caps on all chemicals, medications and cleaning products
  • Lock all dangerous items and products in a cabinet. Cosmetics (make-up) can be poison too
  • Keep all dangerous products in the bottle or package they came in, with the labels on. Store all dangerous products away from food and drinks
  • Keep each family member’s medicines in a separate place, so they don’t get mixed up
  • Keep all chemicals, cosmetics (make-up), medicines and medical supplies and cleaning products in the containers they came in with the labels on
  • Have a medicine cabinet you can lock
© Sheffield Village | Powered by Aespire